Bielefeld University Library represents with its collection of about 2 mill. books and journals not only the central library of Bielefeld University which was founded in 1967, but also one of the most important general libraries of the whole region of East Westphalia-Lippe.
About 95 % of the collection is presented on open shelves and arranged by subject in the reading rooms. With opening hours until 1.00am throughout the week, 10.00pm on weekends and more than 2,000 reader workplaces, Bielefeld University Library is one of the front-runners among German libraries. For registered users electronic texts are available online, anytime, worldwide.
- Innovation is our Tradition.
- Service is our Commitment.
"Information.plus!" is the brand mark of Bielefeld University Library. "Innovation is our Tradition" and "Service is our Commitment" represent our corporate philosophy.
"Information.plus!" represents the holistic service concept of Bielefeld University Library. It combines a comprehensive choice of information resources tailored to suit user requirements with innovative, user friendly services and focuses on evolving web-based working methods in academia, which are increasingly influenced by e-science and e-learning. Along with attractive learning and working spaces within the library, additional benefits for the provision of information are created which are regularly reflected in excellent ratings.
Service is our Commitment
The main remit of the library is to provide University members with literature and information for academic teaching and research. The services are also open to the general public, including public authorities, businesses, hospitals and schools of the region. E-science and e-learning have strongly altered information needs. The enhancement of our services in close dialogue with the faculties and departments is a continuing concern. Bielefeld University Library considers itself as a driving force of a prospective service concept that encompasses all ICT-related departments of Bielefeld University.
Our service catalogue "Dienstleistungskatalog" provides a concise summary of all services of Bielefeld University Library.
Our latest enhancements:
- Search Engine BASE
- Discovery Service
- Library Learning Space
- Publication Services
- Mobile Services and Social Media
Innovation is our Tradition
The library works on modular systems for optimizing the e-library, particularly in the field of search engine technology and academic publishing as well as e-learning, bibliographic, fulltext databases and development of digital collections. For these projects the library cooperates with national and international partners and receives funding from the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft), the Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the North Rhine-Westphalian Ministry of Science and Research. Recently the University Library has been furthering the following projects:
- Research Data Management
- Automated Enhancement by OAI-Metadaten
- Enhanced and Compound Publications
- Publication Fund
- Repository Infrastructure
- Digitization of Journals of the Enlightenment
A numerical overview of Bielefeld UL
- Holdings: 2,200,000 volumes
- Journals: 21,000 licensed electronic journals, 3,700 print journals (subscriptions)
- Reader workplaces: 2,050 (165 custom-built computer workplaces, 1,540 WLAN compatible workplaces, 345 group workplaces)
- Library visits per year: 1,675,000
- Active registered users: 33,250
- Total number of loans incl. renewals per year: 1,400,000
Establishment of the library
Implementation of the first online cataloguing system in Germany (IBAS)
Public access to the online cataloguing system
Launch of the first German university library catalogue on CD-ROM, use of PC networks
Introduction of the document delivery system JASON developed by the library, cooperation of North Rhine-Westphalian university libraries
Development of the first German library project for a cooperative electronic information supply (IBIS)
Beginning of digitization of printed publications and their provision on the Internet; development of the mass storage and document management system BIEBLIS
Introduction of JASON-Subito developed by the library. It allows online ordering of North Rhine-Westphalian periodical articles throughout Germany. Online access to journals available in full text versions (i.a. by consortial agreements with publishers)
Launch of the Digital Library NRW, developed by the library in 1998 - 2000
Development of a netbased integrated learning and teaching environment (online learning) based on Blackboard. Introduction of an online interlibrary loan system
Introduction of a university publications server (BieSOn) based on OPUS
Launch of the Bielefeld Academic Search Engine (BASE) on the basis of FAST Data Search Software
Development of an e-scholarship repository which makes the research results of Bielefeld University accessible for the global scientific community
Participation in the European Commission project DRIVER (Digital Repository Infrastructure Vision for European Research), which aims at cross-linking scientific repositories of European universities and research institutions (project period 2006 - 2009).
The e-scholarship repository, now called BiPrints, is put into operation.
Start of the enhancement of the scholarly publishing services
Migration of the library catalogue in co-operation with Heidelberg University Library. It is now based on search engine technology and makes use of Web 2.0 tools.
The publication data service PUB (Publications at Bielefeld University) which is based on the LUUR system and has been developed jointly by the universities of Lund and Ghent, is put into operation.
PUB facilitates the creation and administration of personal publication lists which can easily be integrated into the personal website of the Bielefeld academic staff. Moreover, PUB represents the beginning of a fundamental modernization
of the university's research information system.
The university publication server BieSOn and the e-scholarship repository BiPrints are merged into PUB and serve as subcollections of PUB. They are now called PUB Theses and PUB OA (Open Access).
Implementation of RFID technology: Self-service stations for borrowing, renewing and returning library items are installed.
Opening of Lernort_B1: Professional peer-learning counselling.
Launch of Weblog and Twitter channel. Implementation of an article search module (EBSCO Discovery Service / EDS) in the library catalogue.
Complete integration of Library Catalogue, EBSCO Discovery Service and Search Engine BASE under one interface - the Catalogue.plus!
- Catalogue.plus! with both electronic and printed documents indexed
- BASE search engine: integrated search in heterogeneous scientific resources worldwide
- PUB - Publications at Bielefeld University: publication data service for the creation and administration of personal publication lists
- both licensed and freely accessible electronic full text journals
- both licensed and freely accessible databases
- own digitized imprints
- Metasearch (Digital Library NRW): simultaneous search in numerous catalogues and databases followed by an availability determination
- Interlibrary Loan online, various document delivery services
- E-Learning (netbased learning and teaching portal "Stud.IP")
- discussion rooms with SMART Board equipment (in cooperation with Service Center Medien and Hochschulrechenzentrum)
- Continuous user training on information literacy (search for literature and information, Citavi, database introductions, internet searching, SMART Boards, Stud.IP)
- Virtual Library Tour
- Info clips on library related essentials
- Ask a Librarian
- Blog, Twitter, Newsletter, RSS-Feed
- The library has outstandingly long opening hours. It is open 111 hours per week, 355 days per year
- More than 95 % of the collection are directly accessible in the departmental libraries, arranged in classified order on open shelves
Datastatus: May 2014